To cause to move faster; to quicken the motion of; to add to the speed of; -- opposed to retard.
- To increase the speed of.
- To cause to occur sooner than expected.
- To cause to develop or progress more quickly: a substance used to accelerate a fire.
- To reduce the time required for (an academic course, for example); compress into a shorter period.
- To make it possible for (a student) to finish an academic course faster than usual.
- Physics To change the velocity of.
- To move or act faster. See Synonyms at speed.
- To engage in an academic program that progresses faster than usual.