A unit; a single point or spot on a card or die; the card or die so marked; as, the ace of diamonds.
- A single spot or pip on a playing card, die, or domino.
- A playing card, die, or domino having one spot or pip.
- In racket games:
- A serve that one's opponent fails to hit.
- A point scored by such a serve.
- The act of hitting a golf ball in the hole with one's first shot.
- A military aircraft pilot who has destroyed five or more enemy aircraft.
- An expert in a given field.
- Top-notch; first-rate.
- To serve an ace against in racket games.
- To hit an ace on (a hole) in golf.
- Slang To get the better of (someone): a candidate who aced his opponents in the primaries.
- Slang To receive a grade of A on: She aced the exam.
- Slang To perform with distinction on: aced the interview.
- in the hole A hidden advantage or resource kept in reserve until needed.
- within an ace of On the verge of; very near to: came within an ace of losing the election.