Trial; attempt; essay.
- Qualitative or quantitative analysis of a metal or ore to determine its components.
- A substance to be so analyzed.
- The result of such an analysis.
- An analysis or examination.
- A bioassay.
- Archaic An attempt; an essay.
- To subject (a metal, for example) to chemical analysis so as to determine the strength or quality of its components.
- To bioassay.
- To examine by trial or experiment; put to a test: assay one's ability to speak Chinese.
- To evaluate; assess: assayed the situation before taking action. See Synonyms at estimate.
- To attempt; try.
- To be shown by analysis to contain a certain proportion of usually precious metal.