An effort made, or exertion of body or mind, for the performance of anything; a trial; attempt; as, to make an essay to benefit a friend.
- A short literary composition on a single subject, usually presenting the personal view of the author.
- Something resembling such a composition: a photojournalistic essay.
- A testing or trial of the value or nature of a thing: an essay of the students' capabilities.
- An initial attempt or endeavor, especially a tentative attempt.
- To make an attempt at; try.
- To subject to a test.