That which underlies all outward manifestations; substratum; the permanent subject or cause of phenomena, whether material or spiritual; that in which properties inhere; that which is real, in distinction from that which is apparent; the abiding part of any existence, in distinction from any accident; that which constitutes anything what it is; real or existing essence.
- That which has mass and occupies space; matter.
- A material of a particular kind or constitution.
- Essential nature; essence.
- Gist; heart.
- That which is solid and practical in character, quality, or importance: a plan without substance.
- Density; body: Air has little substance.
- Material possessions; goods; wealth: a person of substance.