To utter words indistinctly or unintelligibly; to utter inarticulate sounds; as, a child babbles.
- To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds: Babies babble before they can talk.
- To talk foolishly or idly; chatter: "In 1977 [he] was thought of as crazy because he was babbling about supply side” ( Newt Gingrich).
- To make a continuous low, murmuring sound, as flowing water.
- To utter rapidly and indistinctly.
- To blurt out impulsively; disclose without careful consideration.
- Inarticulate or meaningless talk or sounds.
- Idle or foolish talk; chatter.
- A continuous low, murmuring sound, as of flowing water.