To utter sounds which somewhat resemble language, but are inarticulate and indistinct.
- To talk rapidly, incessantly, and on trivial subjects; jabber.
- To utter a rapid series of short, inarticulate, speechlike sounds: birds chattering in the trees.
- To click quickly and repeatedly: Our teeth chattered from the cold.
- To vibrate or rattle while in operation: A power drill will chatter if the bit is loose.
- To utter in a rapid, usually thoughtless way: chattered a long reply.
- Idle, trivial talk.
- Communication, such as e-mail and cell phone calls, between people who are involved in terrorism or espionage, as monitored by a government agency.
- The sharp, rapid sounds made by some birds and animals.
- A series of quick rattling or clicking sounds.