Incapable of producing offspring; producing no young; sterile; -- said of women and female animals.
- Not producing offspring.
- Incapable of producing offspring.
- Lacking vegetation, especially useful vegetation.
- Unproductive of results or gains; unprofitable: barren efforts. See Synonyms at futile.
- Devoid of something specified: writing barren of insight. See Synonyms at empty.
- Lacking in liveliness or interest.
- A tract of unproductive land, often with a scrubby growth of trees. Often used in the plural.