To deliver into the hands of an enemy by treachery or fraud, in violation of trust; to give up treacherously or faithlessly; as, an officer betrayed the city.
- To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against: betray one's country.
- To deliver into the hands of an enemy in violation of a trust or allegiance: betrayed Christ to the Romans.
- To be false or disloyal to: betrayed their cause; betray one's better nature.
- To divulge in a breach of confidence: betray a secret.
- To make known unintentionally: Her hollow laugh betrayed her contempt for the idea.
- To reveal against one's desire or will.
- To lead astray; deceive. See Synonyms at deceive.