- To notice or learn, especially by making an effort: got home and discovered that the furnace wasn't working.
- To be the first, or the first of one's group or kind, to find, learn of, or observe.
- To learn about for the first time in one's experience: discovered a new restaurant on the west side.
- To learn something about: discovered him to be an impostor; discovered the brake to be defective.
- To identify (a person) as a potentially prominent performer: a movie star who was discovered in a drugstore by a producer.
- Archaic To reveal or expose.