A heavy woven or felted fabric, usually of wool, but also of cotton, hemp, straw, etc.; esp. a floor covering made in breadths to be sewed together and nailed to the floor, as distinguished from a rug or mat; originally, also, a wrought cover for tables.
- A thick heavy covering for a floor, usually made of woven wool or synthetic fibers; a rug.
- The fabric used for this floor covering.
- A surface or surface covering that is similar to a rug: a carpet of leaves and pine needles on the forest floor.
- To cover with or as if with a carpet: carpet the stairs; snow that carpeted the sidewalks.
- on the carpet In a position of being reprimanded by one in authority: was called on the carpet for cheating.
- on the carpet Under discussion or consideration: Several important matters will be on the carpet at today's meeting.