A heavy, loosely woven fabric, usually of wool, and having a nap, used in bed clothing; also, a similar fabric used as a robe; or any fabric used as a cover for a horse.
- A large piece of woven material used as a covering for warmth, especially on a bed.
- A layer that covers or encloses: a thick blanket of snow.
- Applying to or covering all conditions or instances: a blanket insurance policy.
- Applying to or covering all members of a class: blanket sanctions against human-rights violators.
- To cover with or as if with a blanket: leaves that blanket the ground.
- To cover so as to inhibit, suppress, or extinguish: blanketed the grease fire with sand.
- To apply to generally and uniformly without exception: high telephone service charges that blanketed our region.