A hollow place in the earth, either natural or artificial; a subterraneous cavity; a cavern; a den.
- A hollow or natural passage under or into the earth, especially one with an opening to the surface.
- A storage cellar, especially for wine.
- To dig or hollow out.
- To cause to collapse or fall in. Often used with in: The impact caved in the roof of the car.
- To fall in; collapse. Often used with in: The walls caved in during the earthquake.
- To give up all opposition; yield. Often used with in: The school committee caved in to the demands of parents.
- To explore caves.