To utter with a melodious voice; to sing.
- A short, simple series of syllables or words that are sung on or intoned to the same note or a limited range of notes.
- A canticle or prayer sung or intoned in this manner.
- A song or melody.
- A monotonous rhythmic call or shout, as of a slogan: the chant of the crowd at the rally.
- To sing or intone to a chant: chant a prayer.
- To celebrate in song: chanting a hero's deeds.
- To say in the manner of a chant: chanted defiant slogans.
- To sing, especially in the manner of a chant: chanted while a friend jumped rope.
- To speak monotonously.