A pointed missile weapon, intended to be thrown by the hand; a short lance; a javelin; hence, any sharp-pointed missile weapon, as an arrow.
- A slender, pointed missile, often having tail fins, thrown by hand, shot from a blowgun, or expelled by an exploding bomb.
- An object likened to a slender, pointed missile either in shape, use, or effect.
- The stinger of an insect.
- Games A game in which small, slender, pointed missiles are thrown at a target.
- A sudden, rapid movement.
- A tapered tuck sewn to adjust the fit of a garment.
- To move suddenly and rapidly: The dog darted across the street.
- To thrust or throw suddenly and rapidly.
- To cause to move swiftly and abruptly: The squirrel darted its head from side to side before scampering up the tree.
- To shoot (an animal) with a tranquilizing dart.