To protect from danger; to secure against surprise, attack, or injury; to keep in safety; to defend; to shelter; to shield from surprise or attack; to protect by attendance; to accompany for protection; to care for.
- To protect from harm by or as if by watching over: guard a bank; guarding the President. See Synonyms at defend.
- To watch over so as to prevent escape or violence: guarded the prisoner.
- Sports To keep (an opposing player) from scoring or playing efficiently.
- To maintain control over, as to prevent indiscretion: Guard what you say.
- To supervise entry or exit through; keep watch at: guarded the door.
- To furnish (a device or object) with a protective piece.
- Archaic To escort.
- To take precautions: guard against infection.
- To serve as a guard.
- One who protects, keeps watch, or acts as a sentinel.
- One who supervises prisoners.
- An honor guard.
- Chiefly British A railway employee in charge of a train.
- Football One of the two offensive linemen on either side of the center.
- Basketball Either of the two players normally positioned in the backcourt who are responsible for bringing the ball to and initiating offensive plays from the frontcourt.
- Sports A defensive position or stance, as in boxing or fencing.
- The act or duty of guarding.
- Protection; watch: a prisoner under close guard.
- Something that gives protection; a safeguard: a guard against tooth decay.
- A device or an attachment that prevents injury, damage, or loss, especially:
- An attachment or a covering put on a machine to protect the operator or a part of the machine.
- A device on a foil, sword, or knife that protects the hand.
- A padded covering worn to protect a body part from injury: a shin guard.
- A small chain or band attached to a watch or bracelet to prevent loss.
- A ring worn to prevent a more valuable ring from sliding off the finger.
- Electronics A signal that prevents accidental activation of a device or ambiguous interpretation of data.
- off (one's) guard Not alert; unprepared.
- on (one's) guard Alert and watchful; cautious.
- stand guard To keep watch.
- stand guard To act as a sentinel.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
കാപ്പാറ്റുക - Kaappaattuka | Kappattuka ;കാവല് - Kaaval | Kaval ;കാവല്ക്കാരന് - Kaavalkkaaran | Kavalkkaran ;അകമ്പടിസേവിക്കുക - Akampadisevikkuka ;അംഗരക്ഷകന് - Amgarakshakan ;അവരോധകന് - Avarodhakan ;