To form in the mind by new combinations of ideas, new applications of principles, or new arrangement of parts; to formulate by thought; to contrive; to excogitate; to invent; to plan; to scheme; as, to devise an engine, a new mode of writing, a plan of defense, or an argument.
- To form, plan, or arrange in the mind; design or contrive: devised a new system for handling mail orders.
- Law To transmit or give (real property) by will.
- Archaic To suppose; imagine.
- The act of transmitting or giving real property by will.
- The property or lands so transmitted or given.
- Law A will or clause in a will transmitting or giving real property.