A combination of things connected and adjusted by design; a system.
- A systematic plan of action: "Did you ever carry out your scheme of writing a series of sonnets embodying all the great epochs of art?” ( Edith Wharton).
- A secret or devious plan; a plot. See Synonyms at plan.
- An orderly combination of related parts: an irrigation scheme with dams, reservoirs, and channels.
- A chart, diagram, or outline of a system or object.
- To plot: scheming their revenge.
- To contrive a plan or scheme for.
- To make plans, especially secret or devious ones.