To distinguish or mark by a specific difference; to effect a difference in, as regards classification; to develop differential characteristics in; to specialize; to desynonymize.
- To constitute the distinction between: subspecies that are differentiated by the markings on their wings.
- To perceive or show the difference in or between; discriminate.
- To make different by alteration or modification.
- Mathematics To calculate the derivative or differential of (a function).
- To become distinct or specialized; acquire a different character.
- To make distinctions; discriminate.
- Biology To undergo differentiation.