To seize and hold by clasping or embracing with the fingers or arms; to catch to take possession of.
- To take hold of or seize firmly with or as if with the hand.
- To clasp firmly with or as if with the hand.
- To take hold of intellectually; comprehend. See Synonyms at apprehend.
- To make a motion of seizing, snatching, or clutching.
- To show eager and prompt willingness or acceptance: grasps at any opportunity.
- The act of grasping.
- A firm hold or grip.
- An embrace.
- The ability or power to seize or attain; reach: Victory in the election was within her grasp.
- Understanding; comprehension: "only a vague intuitive grasp of the meaning of greatness in literature” ( Gilbert Highet).