Descended, or capable of descending, from an ancestor to an heir at law; received or passing by inheritance, or that must pass by inheritance; as, an hereditary estate or crown.
- Law Descending from an ancestor to a legal heir; passing down by inheritance.
- Law Having title or possession through inheritance.
- Transmitted or capable of being transmitted genetically from parent to offspring: a hereditary disease.
- Appearing in or characteristic of successive generations.
- Derived from or fostered by one's ancestors: a hereditary prejudice.
- Ancestral; traditional: their hereditary home. See Synonyms at innate.
- Of or relating to heredity or inheritance.