Kingly; pertaining to the crown or the sovereign; suitable for a king or queen; regal; as, royal power or prerogative; royal domains; the royal family; royal state.
- Of or relating to a monarch.
- Of the rank of a monarch.
- Of, relating to, or in the service of a kingdom.
- Issued or performed by a monarch: a royal warrant; a royal visit.
- Founded, chartered, or authorized by a monarch: a royal society of musicians.
- Befitting royalty; stately: royal treatment.
- Superior, as in size or quality.
- Used as an intensive: "It would be a first-class royal mess” ( Sam Nunn).
- Informal A member of a monarch's family: "Among the resort's distinguished visitors are Swedish and Spanish royals” ( Alistair Scott).
- Nautical A sail set on the royalmast.
- A paper size, 20 by 25 inches for printing, 19 by 24 inches for writing.
- the royal road A way or method that presents no difficulties: the royal road to success.