- To engage the services of (a person) for a fee; employ: hired a new clerk.
- To engage the temporary use of for a fee; rent: hire a car for the day.
- To grant the services of or the temporary use of for a fee: hired himself out as a cook; hired out the cottage for the summer.
- To obtain work: She hired on as a deck hand. He hired out as a photographer.
- The act of hiring.
- The condition or fact of being hired.
- Payment for services; wages.
- Payment for the use of something.
- Informal One who is hired: two new hires in the sales department.