Of or pertaining to a particular place, or to a definite region or portion of space; restricted to one place or region; as, a local custom.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular place: a local custom; the local slang.
- Of or relating to a city, town, or district rather than a larger area: state and local government.
- Not broad or general; not widespread: local outbreaks of flu.
- Of or affecting a specific part of the body: a local infection.
- Making all possible or scheduled stops on a route; not express: a local train.
- A public conveyance that makes several intermediate stops before the final destination is reached: changed trains to a local.
- A local chapter or branch of an organization, especially of a labor union.
- A local anesthetic.
- Informal A person from a particular locality.