A strong vessel, commonly in form of an inverted bell, in which substances are pounded or rubbed with a pestle.
- A vessel in which substances are crushed or ground with a pestle.
- A machine in which materials are ground and blended or crushed.
- A portable, muzzleloading cannon used to fire shells at low velocities, short ranges, and high trajectories.
- Any of several similar devices, such as one that shoots life lines across a stretch of water.
- Any of various bonding materials used in masonry, surfacing, and plastering, especially a plastic mixture of cement or lime, sand, and water that hardens in place and is used to bind together bricks or stones.
- To bombard with mortar shells.
- To plaster or join with mortar.