The foot of a quadruped having claws, as the lion, dog, cat, etc.
- The foot of an animal, especially a quadruped, that has claws or nails.
- Informal A human hand, especially a large clumsy one: "Lennie dabbled his big paw in the water” ( John Steinbeck).
- To strike with the paw or paws.
- To strike or scrape with a beating motion: The bull pawed the ground before charging.
- To handle clumsily, rudely, or with too much familiarity. See Synonyms at touch.
- To scrape the ground with the forefeet: The horse pawed restlessly.
- To handle someone or something clumsily, rudely, or with too much familiarity: Don't paw at everything you see.