One of the five terminating members of the hand; a digit; esp., one of the four extremities of the hand, other than the thumb.
- One of the five digits of the hand, especially one other than the thumb.
- The part of a glove designed to cover a finger.
- Something, such as an oblong peninsula, that resembles one of the digits of the hand.
- The length or width of a finger.
- A degree of participation; a share: "seems almost sure to have a finger or two in crafting the final blueprint” ( George B. Merry).
- An obscene gesture of defiance or derision made by pointing or jabbing the middle finger upward. Often used with the.
- To touch with the fingers; handle. See Synonyms at touch.
- Music To mark (a score) with indications of which fingers are to play the notes.
- Music To play (an instrument) by using the fingers in a particular order or way.
- Slang To inform on.
- Slang To designate, especially as an intended victim.
- To handle something with the fingers.
- Music To use the fingers in playing an instrument.
- have To hope for a successful or advantageous outcome.
- lay (one's) To locate; find: We haven't been able to lay a finger on those photos.
- put (one's) finger on To remember; recall: I know his name; I just can't put my finger on it.
- twist To dominate utterly and effortlessly.