To make trim or smart; to straighten up; to erect; to make a jaunty or saucy display of; as, to perk the ears; to perk up one's head.
- To stick up or jut out: dogs' ears that perk.
- To carry oneself in a lively and jaunty manner.
- To cause to stick up quickly: The dog perked its ears at the noise.
- perk up To regain or cause to regain one's good spirits or liveliness.
- perk up To refresh the appearance of: New furniture and paint perked up the room.
- Informal A perquisite: "Temper tantrums over perks are more common than the American taxpayer might like to believe” ( Maureen Dowd).
- Informal To percolate: The coffee was perking on the stove.