To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify; to defecate; as, to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar.
- To reduce to a pure state; purify.
- To remove by purifying.
- To free from coarse, unsuitable, or immoral characteristics: refined his manners; refined her speaking style.
- To become free of impurities.
- To acquire polish or elegance.
- To use precise distinctions and subtlety in thought or speech.