The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended; pendency; as, suspension from a hook.
- The act of suspending or the condition of being suspended, especially:
- A temporary abrogation or cessation, as of a law or rule.
- A temporary debarment, as from school or a privilege, especially as a punishment.
- A postponement, as of a judgment, opinion, or decision. See Synonyms at pause.
- Music The prolongation of one or more tones of a chord into a following chord to create a temporary dissonance.
- Music The tone so prolonged.
- A device from which a mechanical part is suspended.
- The system of springs and other devices that insulates the chassis of a vehicle from shocks transmitted through the wheels.
- Chemistry A system in which microscopically visible particles are dispersed throughout a less dense liquid or gas from which they are easily filtered but not easily settled because of system viscocity or molecular interactions.