The act of extending or the state of being extended; a stretching out; enlargement in breadth or continuation of length; increase; augmentation; expansion.
- The act of extending or the condition of being extended.
- The amount, degree, or range to which something extends or can extend: The wire has an extension of 50 feet.
- The act of straightening or extending a limb.
- The position assumed by an extended limb.
- Medicine The application of traction to a fractured or dislocated limb to restore the normal position.
- An addition that increases the area, influence, operation, or contents of something: an extension for the vacuum cleaner; built a new extension onto the hospital wing.
- An additional telephone connected to a main line.
- An allowance of extra time, as for the repayment of a debt.
- The period of this extra time: three months' extension on the loan.
- The property of an object by which it occupies space.
- A program in a university, college, or school that offers instruction, as by television or correspondence, to persons unable to attend at the usual time or in the usual place.
- Logic The class of objects designated by a specific term or concept; denotation.
- Mathematics A set that includes a given and similar set as a subset.
- Computer Science A set of characters that follow a filename and are separated from it by a period, used to identify the kind of file: In most operating systems, file names having the extension .EXE are executable files.