To stop; to check or hinder the motion or action of; as, to arrest the current of a river; to arrest the senses.
- To stop; check: a brake that automatically arrests motion; arrested the growth of the tumor.
- To seize and hold under the authority of law.
- To capture and hold briefly (the attention, for example); engage.
- To undergo cardiac arrest: The patient arrested en route to the hospital.
- The act of detaining in legal custody: the arrest of a criminal suspect.
- The state of being so detained: a criminal under arrest.
- A device for stopping motion, especially of a moving part.
- The act of stopping or the condition of being stopped.