The act of civilizing, or the state of being civilized; national culture; refinement.
- An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
- The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
- The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
- Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
- Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.