To make a noise by striking against something; to dash noisily together.
- To collide with a loud, harsh, usually metallic noise: cymbals clashing.
- To come into conflict; be in opposition: factions that clashed on a tax increase; an eyewitness account that clashed with published reports.
- To create an unpleasant visual impression when placed together: colors that clash.
- To strike together with a loud, harsh, metallic noise.
- A loud, harsh noise, such as that made by two metal objects in collision.
- A conflict, as between opposing or irreconcilable ideas. See Synonyms at discord.
- An encounter between hostile forces; a battle or skirmish.