To make acknowledgment or avowal in a matter pertaining to one's self; to acknowledge, own, or admit, as a crime, a fault, a debt.
- To disclose (something damaging or inconvenient to oneself); admit. See Synonyms at acknowledge.
- To acknowledge belief or faith in; profess.
- To make known (one's sins) to God or to a priest.
- To hear the confession of (a penitent).
- To admit or acknowledge something damaging or inconvenient to oneself: The suspect confessed to the crime.
- To disclose one's sins to a priest.
- To listen to a confession.