To know again; to perceive the identity of, with a person or thing previously known; to recover or recall knowledge of.
- To know to be something that has been perceived before: recognize a face.
- To know or identify from past experience or knowledge: recognize hostility.
- To perceive or show acceptance of the validity or reality of: recognizes the concerns of the tenants.
- To permit to address a meeting: The club's president recognized the new member.
- To accept officially the national status of as a new government.
- To show awareness of; approve of or appreciate: recognize services rendered.
- To admit the acquaintance of, as by salutation: recognize an old friend with a cheerful greeting.
- Law To enter into a recognizance.
- Biology To exhibit recognition for (an antigen or a substrate, for example).