To make slight cracks; to make small, sharp, sudden noises, rapidly or frequently repeated; to crepitate; as, burning thorns crackle.
- To make a succession of slight sharp snapping noises: a fire crackling in the wood stove.
- To show liveliness, energy, or intensity: a book that crackles with humor.
- To become covered with a network of fine cracks; craze.
- To crush (paper, for example) with sharp snapping sounds.
- To cause (china, for example) to become covered with a network of fine cracks.
- The act or sound of crackling.
- A network of fine cracks on the surface of glazed pottery, china, or glassware.