Apparatus for raising or lowering heavy weights, consisting of a rope and pulley blocks; sometimes, the rope and attachments, as distinct from the block.
- The equipment used in a particular activity, especially in fishing; gear.
- Nautical A system of ropes and blocks for raising and lowering weights of rigging and pulleys for applying tension.
- A rope and its pulley.
- Sports The act of stopping an opposing player carrying the ball, especially by forcing the opponent to the ground, as in football or Rugby.
- Sports The act of obstructing a player in order to cause loss of possession of the ball, as in soccer.
- Football One of two offensive linemen positioned between the guard and the end on either side of the ball.
- Football One of two defensive linemen positioned to the inside of either end.
- Football Either of these positions.
- To grab hold of and wrestle with (an opponent).
- Sports To stop (an opponent carrying the ball), especially by forcing the opponent to the ground.
- Sports To obstruct (a player with the ball) in order to cause loss of possession of the ball.
- To engage or deal with: tackle a perplexing problem.
- To harness (a horse).
- Sports To tackle an opponent in possession of the ball.