Destitute of the power of speech; unable; to utter articulate sounds; as, the dumb brutes.
- Lacking the power of speech. Used of animals and inanimate objects.
- Often Offensive Incapable of using speech; mute. Used of humans. See Usage Note at mute.
- Temporarily speechless, as with shock or fear: I was dumb with disbelief.
- Unwilling to speak; taciturn.
- Not expressed or articulated in sounds or words: dumb resentment.
- Nautical Not self-propelling.
- Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid: dumb officials; a dumb decision.
- Unintentional; haphazard: dumb luck.
- To make silent or dumb.
- down Slang To rewrite for a less educated or less sophisticated audience.