A distinct portion of an instrument, discourse, literary work, or any other writing, consisting of two or more particulars, or treating of various topics; as, an article in the Constitution. Hence: A clause in a contract, system of regulations, treaty, or the like; a term, condition, or stipulation in a contract; a concise statement; as, articles of agreement.
- An individual thing or element of a class; a particular object or item: an article of clothing; articles of food.
- A particular section or item of a series in a written document, as in a contract, constitution, or treaty.
- A nonfictional literary composition that forms an independent part of a publication, as of a newspaper or magazine.
- Grammar The part of speech used to indicate nouns and to specify their application.
- Grammar Any of the words belonging to this part of speech. In English, the indefinite articles are a and an and the definite article is the.
- A particular part or subject; a specific matter or point.
- To bind by articles set forth in a contract, such as one of apprenticeship.