One or a portion taken to show the character or quality of the whole; a sample; a specimen.
- One that is representative of a group as a whole: the squirrel, an example of a rodent; introduced each new word with examples of its use.
- One serving as a pattern of a specific kind: set a good example by arriving on time.
- A similar case that constitutes a model or precedent: a unique episode, without example in maritime history.
- A punishment given as a warning or deterrent.
- One that has been given such a punishment: made an example of the offender.
- A problem or exercise used to illustrate a principle or method.
- for example As an illustrative instance: Wear something simple; for example, a skirt and blouse.