The act or quality of being instant or pressing; urgency; solicitation; application; suggestion; motion.
- An example that is cited to prove or invalidate a contention or illustrate a point. See Synonyms at example.
- A case or an occurrence: In all such instances, let conscience be your guide.
- Law A legal proceeding or process; a suit.
- A step in a process or series of events: You should apply in the first instance to the personnel manager.
- A suggestion or request: called at the instance of his attorney.
- Archaic Urgent solicitation.
- Obsolete An impelling motive.
- To offer as an example; cite.
- To demonstrate or show by an example; exemplify.
- for instance As an example; for example.