Clothing; garments; ornaments.
- A toothed machine part, such as a wheel or cylinder, that meshes with another toothed part to transmit motion or to change speed or direction.
- A complete assembly that performs a specific function in a larger machine.
- A transmission configuration for a specific ratio of engine to axle torque in a motor vehicle.
- Equipment, such as tools or clothing, used for a particular activity: fishing gear. See Synonyms at equipment.
- Clothing and accessories: the latest gear for teenagers.
- Personal belongings, including clothing: keeps her gear in a trunk.
- The harness for a horse.
- Nautical A ship's rigging.
- Nautical A sailor's personal effects.
- To equip with gears.
- To connect by gears.
- To put into gear.
- To adjust or adapt so as to make suitable: geared the speech to a conservative audience.
- To provide with gear; equip.
- To come into or be in gear.
- To become adjusted so as to fit or blend.
- gear up To get ready for a coming action or event: a group of investors who had geared up for the takeover fight.