In general, any combination of bodies so connected that their relative motions are constrained, and by means of which force and motion may be transmitted and modified, as a screw and its nut, or a lever arranged to turn about a fulcrum or a pulley about its pivot, etc.; especially, a construction, more or less complex, consisting of a combination of moving parts, or simple mechanical elements, as wheels, levers, cams, etc., with their supports and connecting framework, calculated to constitute a prime mover, or to receive force and motion from a prime mover or from another machine, and transmit, modify, and apply them to the production of some desired mechanical effect or work, as weaving by a loom, or the excitation of electricity by an electrical machine.
- A device consisting of fixed and moving parts that modifies mechanical energy and transmits it in a more useful form.
- A simple device, such as a lever, a pulley, or an inclined plane, that alters the magnitude or direction, or both, of an applied force; a simple machine.
- A system or device for doing work, as an automobile or a jackhammer, together with its power source and auxiliary equipment.
- A system or device, such as a computer, that performs or assists in the performance of a human task: The machine is down.
- An intricate natural system or organism, such as the human body.
- A person who acts in a rigid, mechanical, or unconscious manner.
- An organized group of people whose members are or appear to be under the control of one or more leaders: a political machine.
- A device used to produce a stage effect, especially a mechanical means of lowering an actor onto the stage.
- A literary device used to produce an effect, especially the introduction of a supernatural being to resolve a plot.
- An answering machine: Leave a message on my machine if I'm not home.
- Of, relating to, or felt to resemble a machine: machine repairs; machine politics.
- To cut, shape, or finish by machine.
- To be cut, shaped, or finished by machine: This metal machines easily.