Expressive of command; containing positive command; authoritatively or absolutely directive; commanding; authoritative; as, imperative orders.
- Expressing a command or plea; peremptory: requests that grew more and more imperative.
- Having the power or authority to command or control.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or constituting the mood that expresses a command or request.
- Impossible to deter or evade; pressing: imperative needs. See Synonyms at urgent.
- A command; an order.
- An obligation; a duty: social imperatives.
- A rule, principle, or instinct that compels a certain behavior: a people driven to aggression by territorial imperatives.
- Grammar The imperative mood.
- Grammar A verb form of the imperative mood.