The act of obligating.
- The act of binding oneself by a social, legal, or moral tie.
- A social, legal, or moral requirement, such as a duty, contract, or promise that compels one to follow or avoid a particular course of action.
- A course of action imposed by society, law, or conscience by which one is bound or restricted.
- The constraining power of a promise, contract, law, or sense of duty.
- Law A legal agreement stipulating a specified payment or action, especially if the agreement also specifies a penalty for failure to comply.
- Law The document containing the terms of such an agreement.
- Something owed as payment or in return for a special service or favor.
- The service or favor for which one is indebted to another.
- The state, fact, or feeling of being indebted to another for a special service or favor received.