A frame usually portable, of wood, metal, or rope, for ascent and descent, consisting of two side pieces to which are fastened cross strips or rounds forming steps.
- An often portable structure consisting of two long sides crossed by parallel rungs, used to climb up and down.
- Something that resembles this device, especially a run in a stocking.
- A means of ascent and descent: ascending the social ladder.
- A series of ranked stages or levels: high on the executive ladder.
- To run, as a stocking does.