The bare end of the nose between the nostrils; -- used esp. of ruminants.
- To wrap up, as in a blanket or shawl, for warmth, protection, or secrecy.
- To wrap or pad in order to deaden the sound: muffled the drums.
- To deaden (a sound): The sand muffled the hoofbeats.
- To make vague or obscure: "His message was so muffled by learning and 'artiness'” ( Walter Blair).
- To repress; stifle.
- Something that muffles.
- A kiln or part of a kiln in which pottery can be fired without being exposed to direct flame.
- The fleshy, hairless snout of certain mammals, such as ruminants.