A state of quiet or tranquillity; freedom from disturbance or agitation; calm; repose
- The absence of war or other hostilities.
- An agreement or a treaty to end hostilities.
- Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations: roommates living in peace with each other.
- Public security and order: was arrested for disturbing the peace.
- Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind.
- Used as a greeting or farewell, and as a request for silence.
- at peace In a state of tranquillity; serene: She is at peace with herself and her friends.
- at peace Free from strife: Everyone wants to live in a world at peace.
- keep To be silent.
- keep the peace To maintain or observe law and order: officers who were sworn to keep the peace.