To make strong; to invigorate; to fortify; to corroborate.
- To soothe in time of affliction or distress.
- To ease physically; relieve.
- A condition or feeling of pleasurable ease, well-being, and contentment.
- Solace in time of grief or fear.
- Help; assistance: gave comfort to the enemy.
- One that brings or provides comfort.
- The capacity to give physical ease and well-being: enjoying the comfort of my favorite chair.
- Chiefly Southern & Lower Northern U.S. A quilted bedcover; a comforter.